Master in Science in Midwifery Practice and Leadership
Course Code: DPTNM-MIDW-1F09 (F/T)
Duration:1 year FT or 2 years PT
Next Intake: September annually
Closing date for applications: 30th June
Location: 24 D'Olier Street
The M.Sc. in Midwifery Practice and Leadership will provide midwives with a thorough understanding of midwifery theory, practice, education, management and research. By developing and building on subjects undertaken at degree level, graduates of this course will possess the skills necessary for advancing knowledge, initiating and encouraging innovation, and leading and developing midwifery practice. Students participate as active learners in a dynamic environment and enjoy an academically robust education.
Structure & Delivery
Commences with a full week in September and thereafter one or two days per week for the remainder of the academic year (depending on whether the course is being undertaken full-time or part-time).
Attendance at workshops throughout the academic year
A blended learning approach is utilised in the delivery of theoretical content which includes lectures, group discussions and self-directed learning. The assessment process is a combination of written and practical assignments.
- NU7203 Advancing the Theoretical Foundations of Nursing/Midwifery (10)
- NU7013 Theory and Practice of Enquiry Methods for Healthcare (10)
- NU7005 Ethics and Law in Health and Social Care (10)
- NU7020 Leadership, Quality Improvement and Governance (10)
- NU7205 Advancing Midwifery Practice (10)
- NU7010 Women Centred Maternity Care in Ireland (10)
- NU7014 Clinical Practice Module (10)
The criteria for admission are that the candidate must
- Registration as a midwife with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland, or, in the case of international applicants, registration as a professional midwife who is entitled to practice as a qualified or registered midwife in their own country.
- A minimum of one-year full-time recent clinical midwifery practice since registration as a midwife; and
- An honours degree in midwifery or a related discipline or equivalent professional and academic qualification; or
- Otherwise satisfy the course committee that they have the ability to complete and benefit from the course, subject to the discretion/permission of the Dean of Graduate StudiesCurrent registration as a midwife on the active register held by The Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland
Documentation required to complete application
- 1 academic and 1 professional reference from the employer or work practice area. Each reference should confirm the potential and suitability of the applicant to undertake the course
- Copies of academic transcripts from completed educational courses
- Copies of official awards (parchment) from completed educational courses
Flexibility in Progression from P.Grad.Cert. and P.Grad.Dip. to M.Sc.
The School of Nursing and Midwifery are pleased to offer flexibility in pathways for progression from P.Grad. Dip. level to M.Sc. level within its M.Sc. programmes. The following is a summary of the pathways for such re-entry:
On successful completion of all modules of Year One (60 ECTS credits), students may proceed immediately to year two in the next academic year to complete the M.Sc. programme.
On successful completion of all modules of Year One (60 ECTS credits), students may exit the programme without any award (deferring the award), but may apply to return to complete the M.Sc. programme within four years.
All applicants whose first language is not English and who have not been educated through the medium of English must present one of the following qualifications in the English language:
Minimum Level Required
|TOEFL||230 computer-based 570 paper-based 88 internet-based|
|Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English||Grade C|
|Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English||Grade C|
|Pearson Test of English||PTE Academic: a minimum score of 63 (with no section score below 59)|
Please note that test scores are only valid for two years.
For further details on these English Language Proficiency Tests, please contact the appropriate organisation directly.