NU7564: Supervised Practice Placement (10 ECTS)
Following completion of this module the student should be able to:
- Ensure safety in the Emergency Department by working within the Scope of practice framework document, legal and ethical guidelines and other evidence based governing the profession of nursing.
- Demonstrate safe practice within the 5 domains of competence as laid down by An Board Altranais.
- Critically examine policies and protocols which guide best practice in caring for patients/clients in the emergency department setting.
- Critically evaluate the effectiveness of care delivered and review practice in accordance with evidence based research.
- Critically examine the current role of the specialist nurse and the Advance nurse practitioner working in the emergency department setting and explore the limits of specialist skills relating to professional practice.
- Discuss the role of the nurse in the ED with emphasis on promoting and implementing health and safety legislation, and the psychosocial needs of significant others.
Module Learning Aims & Rationale
To equip the student with specialist practice experience, opportunities and understanding involved in providing holistic care to patients/clients and families who present to the emergency department.
Recommended Reading List
- Buttaravoli P. & Stair T. (2000) Minor Emergencies: Splinters to Fractures. Mosby, St. Louis.
- Darovic G.O (2003) Handbook of Hemodynamic Monitoring, 2ndedn. W.B.Saunders Company.
- Dolan B. & Holt L., (eds.) (2005) Accident and Emergency Theory into Practice. Balliere Tindall, Edinburgh.
- Foxall F & Kelsey L. (2008) Arterial blood gas analysis: an easy learning guide. M&K Update Ltd.
- Kuntz Howard P &Steinmann R.A (2009) Sheehy’s Emergency Nursing Principles and Practice, 5th edn. St Louis ,Missouri.
- Khaw PT. & Elkington AR. (2004) ABC of Eyes. BMJ books, London.
- Manchester Triage Group (2005). Emergency Triage, 2nd edn. BMJ Publishing Group, London.
- PHTLS (2003) Basic and Advanced Prehospital Trauma Life Support Course, 5th edn. Mosby Inc, Missouri.
*Other readings will be provided by individual lecturers.