NU7554 Supervised Practice Placement (Peri-op) (10 ECTS)
Following completion of this module the student should be able to:
- Perform systematic comprehensive, accurate nursing assessment of the perioperative patients using an appropriate framework, applying in-depth specialist knowledge of the specific physiological and psychosocial needs of the perioperative patients in planning and implementing care.
- Critically evaluate the effectiveness of care delivered and review practice in accordance with evidence based research demonstrating decisive and informed decision making skills when planning and implementing care, incorporating quality, safety and accountability into all aspects of care.
- Recognise acute surgical care emergencies and respond appropriately utilising specialist clinical knowledge and advanced nursing skills.
- Provide competent care for the patient who presents with conditions requiring diagnostic, therapeutic and monitoring interventions.
- Facilitate and maintain an environment which promotes safe practice and promotes patient dignity and respect while implementing health and safety legislation.
- Demonstrate the use of effective communication skills to promote and maintain a therapeutic working environment between other multidisciplinary professionals, patients and family members.
- Demonstrate decisive and informed decision making skills when planning and implementing care.
- Critically examine the current role of the specialist nurse working in the surgical care setting and explore the limits of professional practice from a scope of practice perspective incorporating legal and ethical issues of critical care nursing practice.
- Act as a professional role model and contributes to the learning experiences of other colleagues while recognising the nurse’s role as the patient’s advocate.
- Recognise family members’ informational and psychosocial needs and address these needs in an appropriate and individualised manner.
Module Learning Aims & Rationale
To equip the student with specialist practice experience, opportunities and understanding involved in providing holistic care to patients and children within peri-operative, intra-operative and postoperative nursing practice.
Recommended Reading List
*Other readings will be provided by individual lecturers.