NU7541: Nursing Care and Management of Critically Ill with Multi System Dysfunction (10 ECTS)
Following completion of this module the student should be able to:
- Identify & critically evaluate the current research in order to promote evidenced based care for the critically ill patient with cardiac, respiratory and multi- system dysfunction.
- Select and implement in-depth specialist knowledge for nursing care/innovative treatments for the critically ill patient with cardiac, respiratory and multi- system dysfunction.
- Provide appropriate nursing/psychosocial/pharmacological support mechanisms for the critically ill patient with cardiac, respiratory and multi- system dysfunction.
- Maintain effective collaboration with the multidisciplinary team to care for the critically ill patient with cardiac, respiratory and multi- system dysfunction.
- Evaluate information technology, sources of information and innovative treatments that support the management of the critically ill patient with cardiac, respiratory and multi- system dysfunction
Module Learning Aims & Rationale
This Msc/Pg Diploma in Nursing (Intensive Care Strand) programme will help nurses to critically discuss
the management of patients with complex medical and surgical conditions.
Recommended Reading List
- Aacn (2005) Protocols for Practice: Care of Mechanically Ventilated Patients, 2nd edn. Jones and Bartett.
- Alspach J.G. (2005) AACCN: Core Curriculum for Critical Care Nurses, 6th edn. Saunders, Philadelphia
- Benner P., Kyriakidis, P. & Shannard, D. (1999) Clinical Wisdom and Interventions in Critical Care. W.B. Saunders Company, London.
- Corne J., Carroll M., Browne, I. & Delaney, D. (2002) Chest X-Ray Made Easy, 2nd edn. Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh.
- Darovic G.O. (2003) Handbook of Haemodynamic Monitoring, 2nd edn. W.B. Saunders Company.
- Foxall F. & Kelsey L. (2008) Arterial blood Gas Analysis: an easy learning guide. M&K Update Ltd.
- Jevon P. & Ewen B. (2007) Monitoring the Critically Ill patient, 2nd edn. Blackwell Science London.
- Karlson K. (2008) Advanced Critical Care Nursing (AACN'S CLINICAL REFERENCE FOR CLINICAL CARE NURSING). 1st edn. Saunders.
- Kubler-Ross. E. (1989) On Death and Dying. Tavistock Routledge. London (Reprinted 1999 – available. VERITAS).
- Lehne , R A ( 2009) Pharmacology for Nursing Care, 7th edn. WB Saunders, New York.
- Slutsky A. S. & Brochard, L. (2004) Mechanical Ventilation (Update in Intensive Care & Emergency Medicine). Berlin and Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag.
- Hager L., & Munden, J. (Eds.) (2008) Springhouse Complete Guide to Documentation, 2nd edition. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Springhouse (2009) Auscultation Skills: Breath and Heart Sounds, 4th edition. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Tortora G.J. & Grabowski, S.R (2008) Principles of Anatomy and Physiology 12th edn. Wiley and Sons.
- The British Medical Association and the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain. (2010) British
- National Formulary, No 48 BMA / Royal Pharmacological Society London.
- Urden L.D. Lough, M.E. & Stacy, K.M. (2009) Thelan’s Critical Care Nursing, Diagnosis and Management,6 th edn. Mosby.
*Other readings will be provided by individual lecturers.