NU7004 Advancing the Theoretical Foundations for Nursing (10 ECTS)
Following completion of this module the student should be able to:
- MLO-01: Advance their discipline by contributing to the debate on the nature of nursing or midwifery (as appropriate)*
- MLO-02: Critically explore knowledge development and its application to contemporary issues in nursing, midwifery and the health services
- MLO-03:Debate the philosophical underpinnings of nursing & midwifery, and critically discuss the implications for practice, theory and research
- MLO-04:Critically examine the role of reflective practice as a tool for enhancing nursing & midwifery practice
- MLO-05: Use a reflective framework to identify the use of theory in practice
- MLO-06: Discuss the scope, application and use of theory in nursing & midwifery,
- MLO-07:Examine the interrelationship between theory, research and practice
Module Learning Aims & Rationale
The aim of the module is to help students reflect critically on their area of practice, examine how they acquire and develop knowledge and seek ways to improve practice and client care through reflection and analysis.
Recommended Reading List
Indicative Resources - more detailed lists will beprovided by module lecturers
- Bryar R. and Sinclair, M. (eds.) (2011) Theory for Midwifery Practice. London: Macmillan.
- Bolton G. (2010) Reflective Practice – Writing and Professional Development. 3rdedn. Sage, London.
- Bulman C., Schutz S. (2008) Reflective Practice in Nursing/midwifery. 4thedn. Blackwell, Oxford.
- Chinn PL, Kramer MK. (2008) Theory and nursing. 7th edn. Mosby, St. Louis.
- Cronin P, Coughlan M, Smith V. (2015) Understanding Nursing & Healthcare Research. Sage, London.
- Cronin P., Rawlings-Anderson K. (2004) Knowledge for contemporary nursing practice. Mosby, Edinburgh.
- Johnson B, Webber P. (2009) Theory and reasoning in nursing. 3rd ed. Lippincott, Philadelphia.
- Meleis A. (2012) Theoretical Nursing/midwifery: Development and Progress. 5th edn. Lippincott, Philadelphia.
- Parahoo, K. (2014) Nursing research, principles and process. 3rd edn. Palgrave Macmillan, London.
- Rodgers B.L. (2005) Developing Nursing Knowledge: Philosophical Influences and Traditions. Lippincott, Philadelphia.
- Rolfe G., Freshwater D., Jasper M. (2001) Critical Reflection for Nursing/midwifery. Houndsmill: Basingstoke.
- Schon D (1983) The Reflective Practitioner. Avebury, Aldershot.
- Smith M.J., Liehr P.R. eds (2003) Middle Range Theory for Nursing. Springer Publishing, New York.
- Walker L. and Avant, K.C. (2011) Strategies for Theory Construction in Nursing/midwifery. 5th edn. Appleton & Lange, Norwalk.