Mental Health, Mental Distress and Mental Illness
- Implementing Family Work Skills in Practice. Assistant Prof Eddie McCann and Freda Neill.
- Developing Master's Level e-learning material in Mental Health (eMenthe) Prof Agnes Higgins, Assistant Prof Louise Doyle and Assistant Prof Brian Keogh et al.
- Scoping project: Mental Health Nursing Graduate Entry Programme. PI: Assistant Prof Mark Monahan, Prof Agnes Higgins, Assistant Prof Jean Morrissey, Assistant Prof Michael Nash, Assistant Prof Jan de Vries, Prof Hugh McKenna and Dr Gemma Stacey.
- Mind Mothers: An exploration of perinatal mental health practices, policies, processes and education/training needs within maternity and primary care services. Prof Agnes Higgins, Associate Prof Margaret Carroll and Ailish Gill.
- Scoping Nursing Education at Sunway University, Malaysia Assistant Prof Eddie McCann, Prof Catherine Comiskey, Assistant Prof Deirdre Daly, Padraig Dunne and Freda Neill.
- Impact of an online eating disorders education strategy on CAMHS nurses' knowledge, skills and attitudes: A pre/post evaluation of a module of study. Assistant Prof Jean Morrissey, Assistant Prof Mark Monahan, Prof Agnes Higgins, Tony O'Connor, Dr Kielty Oberlin, Harriet Parsons and Dr Sinead O'Dea.
Current research students
- Siobhan Smyth, Mental Health Nurses and psychosocial interventions use. Supervisors: Assistant Prof Eddie McCann and Assistant Prof Jan de Vries
- Exploring practices, policies and processes around risk and safety management within mental health services (SMARTER Nursing Study) Prof Agnes Higgins, Assistant Prof Louise Doyle, Assistant Prof Michael Nash, Assistant Prof Michael Brennan, Dr Paul Costello and Assistant Prof Jean Morrissey.
- Madness in the movies: Using cinema to explore mental health issues for practice. Assistant Prof Eddie McCann and Associate Prof Sylvia Huntley-Moore.
A Longitudinal Study examining the attitudes of student nurses towards mental illness. PI: Assistant Prof Brian Keogh
- Emergency Nurses' Educational Needs when Caring for Clients who present with Suicidal Behaviour. PI: Assistant Prof Louise Doyle
- Final Year Mental Health Student Nurses' Experiences of Caring for Clients with Suicidal Behaviour. PI: Assistant Prof Louise Doyle
Completed research students
- Agnes Higgins, Veiling sexualities in a psychiatric nursing context: A grounded theory study. Principal Supervisor: Prof Cecily Begley
- Jean Morrissey, Psychiatric nurses' responses to clients with suicidal behaviour: A grounded theory study. Principal Supervisor: Prof Agnes Higgins
- Mark Monahan, An Ethnography of the psychiatric nurses' role working with people with a medical diagnosis of schizophrenia. Principal Supervisor: Prof Agnes Higgins